Composite veneers and zirconia are suitable for covering teeth imperfections and giving you a better smile. However, these veneer types are different. Although composite veneers are cheaper, zirconia veneers offer more benefits.
Kindly read further to find out how zirconia veneers outperform composite veneers.
What Are Composite Veneers?
Composite veneers are thin shells made from composite resin material. The material is inert and does not cause allergic reactions. Furthermore, veneers from this material do not need excessive tooth prep.
Benefits Of Composite Veneers
Composite veneers are minimally invasive and do not require teeth drilling. Consequently, the procedure is reversible.
- These veneers are easily repairable even if they chip or break
- Dentists install composite veneers in a single visit
- Composite veneers are the cheapest of all veneer types
Drawbacks Of Composite Veneers
- The composite resin material is weak, making the veneers prone to chips
- The veneers are not durable
- Composite veneers are prone to stains
Composite Veneers Procedure
The two types of composite veneers at Dentakay dental clinic are direct and indirect. These veneers are only different in the procedure. During a direct composite veneer procedure, your dentist will manually apply and shape the resin on your tooth. Indirect composite veneers require the dentist to create an impression of your teeth by biting on a mould. The impression is then used to create the veneer shells.
Whether you get direct or indirect veneers, after the dentist bonds the veneers to your teeth using dental cement, the dentist uses a curing light to harden the veneer.
Composite Veneers Cost
Composite veneers are the cheapest veneers. You can get a single unit of composite veneers for as low as $100 in Turkey.
What Are Zirconia Veneers
Zirconia veneers are the strongest type of veneer. This veneer is made from zirconium dioxide, a strong and stable ceramic. In addition, they don’t cause allergies. Although the procedure for zirconia veneers involves enamel removal, the thickness is small compared to that of porcelain veneers.
Benefits Of Zirconia Veneers
- Zirconia veneers are strong. This material is even about ten times stronger than the tooth enamel.
- This type of veneer is biocompatible. It does not cause allergies or react to chemicals in the mouth.
- Zirconia veneers are durable and can endure between 10 and 30 years, depending on the care.
- These veneers can withstand chewing and grinding forces. They are suitable for posterior teeth.
- Zirconia veneers do not have a metallic taste.
- This type of veneer is resistant to food-staining foods like tea and coffee.
Drawbacks Of Zirconia Veneers
- Zirconia veneers require expert dentists to carry out the procedure
- It may take a while to adjust to them
- Zirconia veneers are expensive because the procedure needs a high level of expertise and precision.
Zirconia Veneers Procedure
Before getting zirconia veneers, you must visit a dentist for an oral checkup. Your dentist will check your mouth for dental issues and fix them. You can’t get veneers if there are problems with your oral health.
Once you qualify for veneers, the next step is tooth preparation. During this step, your dentist will remove a minimal portion of your tooth enamel. This thickness is to accommodate zirconia shells. You should get a local anaesthetic during the procedure, so you shouldn’t feel any pain.
The next step is the teeth impression. Your dentist will take an impression of your teeth on a mould and send it to a dental laboratory. Your custom veneers are developed in the lab. Still, when the permanent ones are ready, you will get temporary veneers pending.
When the veneers are ready, your dentist will replace the temporary veneers with new ones. After placing the veneers, your dentist will check your bite and make final adjustments to the colour and shape.
If you are satisfied with the look and feel of the veneers, the dentist goes ahead to bond them with dental cement. A curing light is then used to harden the bond.
Zirconia Veneers Cost
Zirconia veneers are one of the most expensive types of veneers. In Turkey, a single veneer unit may cost about $190.
Which Veneers Are Better – Composite Or Zirconia?
After examining composite and zirconia veneers in detail, it is safe to say that zirconia veneers are ideal. These veneers solve several tooth imperfections, are durable, and can withstand biting and chewing forces. Furthermore, zirconia veneers are stain resistant and biocompatible.
The only edge composite veneers have over zirconia veneers is their cheaper costs. But even then, zirconia veneers offer several benefits that justify their cost. Moreover, the cost of replacing composite veneers adds up in the long run.
How To Care For Veneers
After getting veneers, you can use them for the entire length of their lifespan if you care for them properly. You can care for your veneers by following these tips;
- Maintain good oral hygiene. Brushing and flossing every day are essential. If you are rinsing with a mouthwash, ensure it is alcohol-free.
- Limit teeth-staining foods like red wine, coffee, tea, and soy sauce
- Smoking and consuming tobacco products discolour veneers. It is best to quit if you smoke
- Avoid grinding or clenching your teeth, especially when you sleep. Teeth grinding stresses the veneers, wearing them out. You can get a nighttime mouthguard from your dentist to prevent teeth clenching
- Avoid chewing hard substances like your nails, ice, or pen. Hard substances can chip and break your veneers
- Visit the dentist regularly. Your dentist can detect problems with your oral health and fix them promptly during your routine visits.
Are Zirconia Veneers Worth It?
Yes. Zirconia veneers look like natural teeth and are durable. In addition, you can choose from different shades to match your surrounding teeth. The benefits of zirconia veneers make the price worth it.
Zirconia veneers are biocompatible, durable, and stain resistant. In addition, you can visit a dentist for preliminary checks to ensure you qualify for the veneers.