Personal finance is 20% head knowledge about money. what‘s the other 80%?

Personal finance is 20% head knowledge about money. what‘s the other 80%?

Personal finance is 20% head knowledge about money. what‘s the other 80%?



When it comes to personal finance, many people believe that knowledge about money is the key to financial success. While it is true that understanding financial concepts and strategies is important, it only accounts for about 20% of the equation. The other 80% is made up of various factors that go beyond head knowledge. In this article, we will explore what this other 80% entails and why it is crucial for achieving financial well-being.

Financial Behavior and Habits

Financial behavior and habits: One of the biggest factors that make up the remaining 80% is our financial behavior and habits. It doesn’t matter how much knowledge we have about money if we don’t put it into practice. Developing good financial habits such as budgeting, saving, and investing is essential for long-term financial success. Without the discipline to stick to a budget or the habit of saving regularly, our financial knowledge becomes meaningless.

Emotional intelligence: Another important aspect of personal finance is emotional intelligence. Our emotions can often cloud our judgment and lead us to make irrational financial decisions. Being aware of our emotions and understanding how they can impact our financial choices is crucial. Emotional intelligence helps us make rational decisions, avoid impulsive spending, and stay focused on our long-term financial goals.

Financial Goals and Planning

Setting financial goals: Without clear financial goals, it is difficult to make progress in our personal finances. Setting specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound (SMART) goals helps us stay motivated and focused. Whether it’s saving for retirement, paying off debt, or buying a house, having well-defined goals gives us a sense of direction and purpose.

Financial planning: Once we have established our goals, the next step is to create a financial plan. A financial plan outlines the steps we need to take to achieve our goals. It includes budgeting, saving, investing, and managing debt. A well-crafted financial plan takes into account our income, expenses, and risk tolerance. It helps us make informed decisions and ensures that we are on track to reach our financial objectives.

Financial Education and Continuous Learning

Financial education: While head knowledge is only a small part of personal finance, it is still an important component. Understanding financial concepts, such as compound interest, diversification, and risk management, can help us make better financial decisions. Financial education equips us with the necessary knowledge to navigate the complex world of money effectively.

Continuous learning: Personal finance is a dynamic field, and it is essential to stay updated with the latest trends and developments. Continuous learning allows us to adapt to changing economic conditions, new investment opportunities, and evolving financial regulations. By staying informed, we can make more informed decisions and adjust our financial strategies accordingly.


While head knowledge about money is important, it is only a small part of personal finance. The other 80% is made up of factors such as financial behavior and habits, emotional intelligence, financial goals and planning, financial education, and continuous learning. By focusing on these aspects, we can enhance our financial well-being and achieve long-term financial success.


– Investopedia:
– The Balance:
– NerdWallet:
– Financial Times: